Sunday, October 5, 2008

IMFEST: Final Night



As I dropped off Joe Vanderhelm of Rapid Fire Theatre at the airport 2 hours ago, my final job for IMFEST: The 3rd Annual Montreal Improv Festival was completed. I decided to capture the event with my digital camera. Sadly, the significance of documenting the moment when of months endless planning and preparation came to an end was completely lost on the cab driver behind me who leaned on his horn for a full 45 seconds while hurling a stream of obscenities and insults at me that clearly betrayed his complete ignorance of my situation. “Yeah? You try organizing a major international improv festival, buddy!” I yelled back at him. I musta zinged him with that one ‘cause all he did was stare back at me dumbfoundedly.

Anyway, IMFEST is done, over and finito now. From here on in, any improv-fest related work that I do will on the 4th Annual Montreal Improv Fest coming autumn 2009.

I’m going to forgo the usual recap of last night two shows ‘cause, well, it’s over now. Plus I don’t have to entice people reading this to come out to any more shows now. Suffice it to say I loved every second of each one of ‘em. No joke.

I’d just like to thank everyone involved for helping make this a really fun festival. I’m happy with the way it turned out. Though I think I could a fill a book with a list of things I’d like to do differently next year. Actually, on second thought, make that an internet’s worth of stuff I’d like to do differently next year.

But for now, thanks to Storybox Theatre from Chicago for bringing your show to us and for introducing me to the Arnold Schrwarznegger one-liner game that is sure to become one of my all time favourite improv games. Thanks to Rapid Fire Theatre from Edmonton that a short form and long form improv can, in fact, mate and have happy healthy and productive children. Thanks to Uncalled For helping to get their incredible fan base out to our shows. And thanks for all those wonderful lines that I’ve been trying to quote out of context all week. Thanks to TSC Improv for, first of all, doing so much to support improv in this city all year round and for bringing a fresh vibe and energy to IMFEST . Thanks to Without Annette for being behind the whole idea of the fest so much, being a joy to work with and for hosting a kick-ass spaghetti dinner. And, finally, thanks to my own troupe of On The Spot for supporting and indulging me in this seemingly insane venture and for bringing that sense fun that I’ve come to know and love to the fest.

Plus a big shout out to our wonderfully supportive venues: Mainline Theatre, The Comedyworks and The Comedy Nest.

Watch for more improv-but-not-necessarily-improv-fest-related blogs right here.

And watch for another IMFEST in Fall 2009.

A la prochain,

Terence Bowman
Head Honcho/Big Cheese
IMFEST

No comments: